Draft:Siege of Treviso: Difference between revisions

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Content deleted Content added


Line 7: Line 7:

| combatant1 = {{Flag|Kingdom of France}}<br>”’Supported by”’ :<br>{{Flag|Holy Roman Empire}}

| combatant1 = {{Flag|Kingdom of France}}<br>”’Supported by”’ :<br>{{Flag|Holy Roman Empire}}

| combatant2 = {{Flag|Republic of Venice}}

| combatant2 = {{Flag|Republic of Venice}}

| commander1 = [[Jacques de La Palice]]

| commander1 = [[Jacques de La Palice]]

| commander2 = [[Renzo da Ceri]]

| commander2 = [[Renzo da Ceri]]

| strength1 = [[Kingdom of France]] :<br>5,000 infantry<br>200 lances<br>[[Holy Roman Empire]] :<br>12,000 men<br>70 pieces of artillery

| strength1 = [[Kingdom of France]] :<br>5,000 infantry<br>200 lances<br>[[Holy Roman Empire]] :<br>12,000 men<br>70 pieces of artillery

| strength2 = 3,520 men<br>228 stradiotti<br>46 bombardiers

| strength2 = 3,520 men<br>228 stradiotti<br>46 bombardiers


Revision as of 15:33, 3 January 2026

Background

After the heavy defeat suffered at Agnadello at the hands of the forces of the League of Cambrai (1508), the Republic of Venice feared its imminent end, releasing the Venetian cities from the pact of loyalty and allowing them to open their doors to the Collegati, in order to avoid sacking. The only one that refused to submit to Maximilian of Habsburg was Treviso, which reconfirmed its loyalty to Venice on 10 June 1509 and not without reason many historians place the recovery of the Serenissima starting from this episode. From Treviso, in fact, departed the expedition led by Andrea Gritti for the reconquest of Padua (17 July 1509), a city that the Collegati failed to reconquer after having placed it under siege.

The capital of the Marca represented the last Venetian bastion that separated France and the Empire from the Venetian Lagoon : for this reason, already in 1509, the Council of Ten had entrusted the fortification works of the city to the very famous Veronese architect Giovanni Giocondo. In addition to the construction of imposing bastion walls and the diversion of part of the Botteniga river, the new defensive constructions in Treviso also involved the demolition of part of the ancient sanctuary of the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore.

The garrison placed in defense of Treviso was placed under the command of the general commissioner Giovanni Paolo Gradenigo, while the besieging army was gathered under the orders of the French aristocrat Jacques de La Palice.

References

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top