Originally ran along Park Street in Guildford between the A31 and A3 (now A3100). Renumbered to a spur of the A31 in July 1934 and is now part of the A3100. The northern portion is part of the Friary gyratory.
Ran from the A3011 in North Camp to the A3013 (now A321) in Ash Vale. Downgraded in 1995 to the B3165 due to completion of the A331 through North Camp.
Previously allocated to a road from Frimley Green to Ash Vale. Became a portion of a rerouted A321 in the 1970s. Now downgraded to the B3411 due to completion of the parallel A331.
Ran from the A321 (former A3011, now B3411) to the A323 (former A324) in Ash, but was later extended to the A31 in Tongham. Downgraded to the B3206 due to completion of the A331 from the M3 to the A31; the southern extension to the A31 is now unclassified.
Originally ran from the A324 (now B3208) near Ash to the A325 in Aldershot. Became a western extension of the A323 in the 1935 renumbering; the westernmost section is now unclassified.
Ran from the center of Windsor to the A308 in Windsor Great Park. Probably decommissioned in 1935 when the A332 was rerouted along then-B3022. Downgraded when the A332 Windsor bypass was built, with part of the route becoming the B3022; the section along King’s Road was declassified.
Number later used for a road linking Hilsea and Portsmouth. Became the northern carriageway of the A3 after the M275 was built.
Connected the then-A332 (now A3095) to the A331 west of Crowthorne. Became a spur of the A3095 in 1935 after the A332 was rerouted; route later downgraded and is now an eastern extension of the B3348.
Route later used for a loop off the eastern side of the A3017 in Portsmouth. Now the southern carriageway of the A3.
Previously ran entire length of Torbay Ring Road but rerouted into Torquay (former A380) and along former A379 between Torquay and Paignton. Concurrent with A379 between Torquay and Paignton. Section past Paignton Zoo formerly part of A385.
An older A3022 existed on the Isle of Wight until 1935 when it became part of an extended A3054. It ran between Newport and Ryde, terminating at the pier.
Number also appeared in the 1974 AA Touring Guide to England for York Road running along the southern bank of the River Avon in Bristol. This is probably a typo for the A3034 which survived on York Road longer than originally thought. Now part of the A370.
First used along Queen Street in Salisbury. Decommissioned probably by the 1960s (the number was in use elsewhere), but may have been renumbered as a spur of a nearby route well before then. Now entirely pedestrianized.
Next used in Taunton town center along Upper High Street, connecting the A38 to itself. Because it performed so well in taking traffic out of the center of Taunton, it became a portion of a rerouted A38.
Originally ran along Ashley Road in Branksome, Poole. Renumbered as a spur of the A345 in the 1935 renumbering and is now part of the B3061 after the A345 was cut back.
First used in Poole from the A35 to the then-A348. Became a portion of a rerouted A35 in 1935 and is now part of an extended A350, although the northernmost part is part of an A35 gyratory.
Next used along a former routing of the A33 in Reading. Downgraded to a B road with the same number.
Originally ran along Cornhill, South Street and Weymouth Avenue in Dorchester, cutting the corner between the then-A35 and A37. Renumbered as a portion of the A354 in 1935; now unclassified and partially pedestrianized.
Originally the B3127, it previously terminated on the original A370 Locking Road. Although a bypass for the town centre, most traffic seeking to avoid the town centre uses the unclassified Winterstoke Road.
Originally ran along Southbroom Place (now Southbroom Road) in Devizes, cutting the corner between the A342 and A360 and just missing the A361. Now a portion of the A360, although it may have been a spur before this.
Ran along York Road between the A36 and A38 in Bristol. Initially thought to have become an eastern extension of the A370 in 1935, a mid-1960s map shows the route as still A3034 and the 1974 AA Touring Guide to England shows the road as A3024 (a typo), meaning the route may have had its number until the 1970s; it is now likely that the change was in 1935, but was later reversed as some large scale OS maps from the 1940s and 1950s show the road as A370.
Number possibly later used along Queen Street in Maidenhead; possibly a typo for the A3064 or it may have been changed later on for some reason.
Originally ran from the A358 in South Petherton to the A37 in Ilchester. Between 1927 and 1932 it was extended over the B3090 to the now-gone A344 near Stonehenge. Renumbered to the A303 in 1933; the A3036 number was reused as a renumbering of the original A303. See also: Albert Embankment
Ran from the A358 (later A303, now unclassified) to the A374 (later A358) in Ilminster. Declassified in 1988 due to completion of the Ilminster bypass and the declassification of the A303.
Originally linked Ditton Street to High Street in Ilminster. Renumbered as a spur of the A3037 in the 1935 renumbering; now unclassified due to completion of the Ilminster bypass and resultant decommissioning of the A3037.
Originally ran along the western part of Chard Street and part of Victoria Place in Axminster. Became a spur of the A374 (later A358) and is now part of the A358 itself. May have been the shortest identified A road in the British Isles at just 174 ft (53 m).
Originally a loop off the A376 in Budleigh Salterton. Still marked as A3040 on a 1958 OS map, it was likely downgraded at the same time as the A376. Now part of an extended B3178.
A3041
Unused
Ran from the Devonport seafront to the A386. Decommissioned when the present A38 opened: the southernmost section is unclassified, the route through Stoke is now the B3396 and the section from Milehouse to Hartley is now a rerouted A386.
Ran from the A389 (later A38, now A374) in Devonport to the A387 (later A388, now A3064) in Keyham. Downgraded in the 1970s after the current A38 opened and is now the B3396.
Loop off A390 in Lostwithiel. Decommissioned due to completion of the Lostwithiel bypass and is now part of the B3268.
Later reserved around 1970 for “existing parallel length of A329 when passed by the S.E. Reading to N.W. Wokingham relief road”, but the number was not used.
Originally ran from the A39 and A393 to the A394 northwest of Penryn. May have been renumbered as a spur of the A394 in 1935 (shown as such on a 1957 OS map) but is now part of a rerouted A39, forming a portion of the Penryn bypass.
Originally ran along Clinton Road in Redruth, paralleling the original A393 (now B3300). Probably renumbered as a spur in 1935, but is now unclassified.
Ran along St Thomas Road connecting the A388 to the then-A30 on the west side of Launceston Castle and was later extended along the old A30 to the A30 southern bypass when it was built in the 1940s. Now just a spur of the A388.
Number first used on a road cutting the corner between the A3 and the A27 near Portsmouth; was the first A3xxx number allocated after the original 1922 classification. Became a spur of the A27 in 1935 and later part of the A27 itself after the Cosham and Havant bypasses were built.
Next used as an unexplained renumbering of the A3043 in Plymouth. Now part of the B3396.
Ran from Bradford-on-Avon to Melksham in Wiltshire; was the B3104. Downgraded following the completion of the A350 Melksham bypass; the section within the bypass is now part of the A3102 and the remainder is now the B3107.
First used along an old routing of the A3 in Kingston when the A3 number was used for the Kingston bypass instead of the A239. The A239 would have been out of zone, so the A3063 number was used instead. Became the A308 (to the north) and A307 (to the south) by 1932.
Next used as an upgrade of the B3021 from Old Windsor to Datchet. Renumbered as an extension of the A328 in 1935, but has since gotten its old number as it was downgraded back to the B3021.
Originally ran along Queen Street in Maidenhead, cutting the corner between the A308 and A4; not on the 1922 Road Lists, but designated in 1927. Renumbered as a spur of the A308 in the 1935 renumbering, but is now unclassified and completely pedestrianized.
Ran from the A36 to the A33 with a spur (former B3057) to the A3035, formed a portion of the South Coast Trunk Road (the T37) from 1946. Originally the A35 until it was renumbered to A3067 around 1940 for unknown reasons (probably to remove the multiplex with the A36) and became the A36 again when Tebourba Way was built in 1953.
Ran from Christchurch to Lymington; was a portion of the B3054. Renumbered as a portion of the A337 in 1935.
A3069
Unused
Ran from Lymington to Lyndhurst; originally portions of the B3056 and B3057. Renumbered as a portion of the A337 in 1935; the section in Lyndhurst is part of the town’s A35 one-way system.
Originally ran along Stony Lane in Axminster. Although the road was still shown as an unnumbered A road on maps into the 1960s, the number had been reused in Cornwall in 1935 with the original route becoming a spur of the A373 or A358 (former A374). Now downgraded to a portion of the B3261.
Originally ran from Exeter Inn to Bampton, formerly a section of the A396. Returned to the A396 in the 1935 renumbering, but as a spur; downgraded to a portion of the B3227 after the A361 was downgraded.
Ran from the A30 west of Penzance to the A30 at Trereife; formerly the B3314 from Penzance to Newlyn while the link to Trereife was the southern section of the B3316. The Penzance-Newlyn section is now unclassified while the remainder became a portion of the B3315.
Originally used for the Plymouth northern bypass; originally the B3246. Renumbered A374 in 1935 and then became a portion of the A38 in the 1960s when the Tamar Bridge opened. Much of route now the B3413 after the A38 was rerouted, although the two ends are unclassified.
Ran along Bathwick Street in Bath, forming a shortcut between the A4 and A36. Now a spur of the A4 or A36, depending on direction of travel, although maps and the local council claim it as a spur of the A36.
First used in south Cornwall between Par and Holmbush along the westernmost section of the B3271 (much of which became the A3082 except for this section), but it became a portion of the A3082 anyway in 1935.
Used a second time in 1937 as a temporary number for the northern section of the Exeter Bypass (renumbered from the A378), but it became the A38 in 1938 when it was rerouted (old A38 became the A3085).
Used a final time in 1975 between Redhills and Alphington on the western edge of Exeter. Declassified in the late 1970s when the A30 western bypass was built.
Original routing of the A38 in Exeter before it was rerouted on top of the A3084. The northern section is now mostly the B3212 and much of the multiplex is now pedestrianized. The section from the River Exe to the northern edge of Alphington is now the A377, the route into Alphington itself is now the B3123 and the remainder unclassified. The southern end is now gone, lost under the A30 bypass.
Location unknown, but since the A3095 was created in 1935 this clearly did exist. This may have been a short-lived road from Andover to Micheldever (upgrade of the B3049; became part of the A303).
Also known as the NIDR (Northern Inner Distributor Road). Previously allocated to a road from the A36 (now Tollgate Road) via Rampart Road to the A30 (now Winchester Street) in Salisbury.
Location unknown, but since the A3095 was created in 1935 this clearly did exist. This may have been on the road that became part of the A303 as shown in the A3086 entry above.
Formerly part of the A31. Before this, the A3090 was allocated to the road from the A31 through Winchester to the A33; this became the B3040 and an extension of the B3047, and the A3090 was reused on the current route.
Ran via Sussex Street and City Road from High Street (then the A272) to Hyde Street (then the A3090) in Winchester. Downgraded in 1995 due to completion of the M3 over Twyford Down; Sussex Street is now the southern end of the B3420 and City Road is the western end of the B3330.
Ran on Eastgate Street, Union Street, North Walls from The Broadway (then the A31) to Hyde Street (then the A3090) in Winchester as an upgrade of the B3044. Downgraded in 1995 due to completion of the M3 over Twyford Down and is now part of the B3330.