From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Content deleted Content added
|
 |
|||
| Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
|
[[File:Eastbound Southport Road.jpg|thumb|Southport Presbyterian church location in 2020.]] |
[[File:Eastbound Southport Road.jpg|thumb|Southport Presbyterian church location in 2020.]] |
||
|
The First Southport Presbyterian Church was established in 1833 on March 30. There are differing opinions as to where the original location was. According to some, it took place in the Old Mud Schoolhouse which was previously a log cabin built by Isaac Smock and known as Smock Log Cabin. Others say the first congregations met in |
The First Southport Presbyterian Church was established in 1833 on March 30. There are differing opinions as to where the original location was. According to some, it took place in the Old Mud Schoolhouse which was previously a log cabin built by Isaac Smock and known as Smock Log Cabin. Others say the first congregations met in |
||
|
. The church congregated in the building for 3 years before being established as its own church. Originally, it was a New Providence church. It operated as this until it burned down in 1859. A brick church was built in its place in 1860, where the congregation stayed until 1998. |
. The church congregated in the building for 3 years before being established as its own church. Originally, it was a New Providence church. It operated as this until it burned down in 1859. A brick church was built in its place in 1860, where the congregation stayed until 1998. |
||
Latest revision as of 14:45, 14 January 2026

The First Southport Presbyterian Church was established in 1833 on March 30. There are differing opinions as to where the original location was. According to some, it took place in the Old Mud Schoolhouse which was previously a log cabin built by Isaac Smock and known as Smock Log Cabin. Others say the first congregations met in the home of one Mary Hinckley Sebern in Perry Township.
. The church congregated in the building for 3 years before being established as its own church. Originally, it was a New Providence church. It operated as this until it burned down in 1859. A brick church was built in its place in 1860, where the congregation stayed until 1998.
In the 1950s, in an effort to modernize, they moved to a campus in Perry Township and housed Southport Presbyterian Christian School, Welcome Place Child Care, etc. They moved to McFarland Farms in 1998, where the church still resides. It is now operated under Evangelical Presbyterian Churches (EPC). A plaque was erected in Southport in honor of the church in 1983. A sister location is called Southview Presbyterian Church in Southview.
The plaque honoring the church was deemed a historical marker present in the Indiana Historical Bureau database.



