Greenwich Castle: Difference between revisions

Content deleted Content added


Tags: Mobile edit Mobile web edit

 

Line 17: Line 17:

[[Category:Greenwich Park]]

[[Category:Greenwich Park]]

[[Category:Former castles in England]]

[[Category:Former castles in England]]

[[category:Buildings and structures in Greenwich]]

{{london-struct-stub}}

{{london-struct-stub}}


Latest revision as of 10:40, 3 November 2025

A 1902 imaginative reconstruction of the Greenwich Castle ruins, at that time long since demolished

Greenwich Castle was a hunting lodge used during the reign of Henry VIII, located in Greenwich Park, in Greenwich, England. The Royal Observatory, Greenwich now stands on the site.[1] Greenwich Castle was apparently a favourite place for Henry VIII to house his mistresses, as it was within easy travelling distance of Greenwich Palace at the foot of the hill.[2]

The castle was previously known as Duke Humphrey’s Tower after its builder, Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, a younger brother of King Henry V.

51°28′40″N 0°00′07″W / 51.4779°N 0.0019°W / 51.4779; -0.0019

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Exit mobile version