From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Content deleted Content added
|
 |
|||
| Line 12: | Line 12: | ||
|
}} |
}} |
||
|
”’Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works”’ was |
”’Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works”’ was by [[Andrew Carnegie]] and T.N. Miller in . It was located in [[Allegheny, Pennsylvania]], part of . |
||
|
It repaired an early locomotive known as [[Bausman Mine#Bausman’s Rhinoceros|Bausman’s Rhinoceros]] in April 1867.<ref>{{cite book |last1= Bell |first1= J. Snowden |title= Railway and locomotive engineering; a practical journal of motive power, rolling stock and appliances. |
It repaired an early locomotive known as [[Bausman Mine#Bausman’s Rhinoceros|Bausman’s Rhinoceros]] in April 1867.<ref>{{cite book |last1= Bell |first1= J. Snowden |title= Railway and locomotive engineering; a practical journal of motive power, rolling stock and appliances. |
||
Latest revision as of 02:10, 31 October 2025
Manufacturing business co-founded by industrialist Andrew Carnegie in 1865
The Pittsburgh Locomotive and Car Works was a railroad equipment manufacturing company founded by Andrew Carnegie and T.N. Miller in 1865. It was located in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh and since 1907 part of that city.
It repaired an early locomotive known as Bausman’s Rhinoceros in April 1867.[1]
Starting in the 1870s under its superintendent and general manager Daniel A. Wightman, it became known for its production of large locomotives. Its engines were shipped around the world, including India and Japan.
By 1901, when Pittsburgh had merged with seven other manufacturing companies to form American Locomotive Company (ALCO), Pittsburgh had produced over 2,400 locomotives. In March 1919, ALCO closed the Pittsburgh facility.
Preserved Pittsburgh locomotives
[edit]
Following is a list (in serial number order) of Pittsburgh locomotives built before the ALCO merger that have been spared the scrapper’s torch.[2]
Listed below (likewise in serial number order) are preserved locomotives that were built at the Pittsburgh facility after the ALCO merger.
| Serial number | Wheel arrangement (Whyte notation) |
Build date | Operational owner(s) | Disposition |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| 37672 | 0-6-0 | 1905 | Morehead and North Fork 12 | Age of Steam Roundhouse, Sugarcreek, Ohio |
| 39570 | 2-8-0 | 1906 | Duluth and Northeastern 28 | Lake Superior Railroad Museum, Duluth, Minnesota |
| 39637 | 2-8-0 | 1906 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 29 | Grand Canyon Railway, Williams, Arizona |
| 42285 | 2-8-0 | 1907 | Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range 347 | Chisholm, Minnesota |
| 42286 | 2-8-0 | 1907 | Duluth and Northeastern No. 27 | Barnum, Minnesota |
| 46939 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 23 | Phoenicia, New York |
| 46941 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 18 | Boyertown, Pennsylvania |
| 46942 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 19 | Frisco, Texas |
| 46943 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 20 | Allen, Texas |
| 46944 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 22 | North Freedom, Wisconsin |
| 46945 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 21 | Baraboo, Wisconsin |
| 46946 | 2-8-0 | 1910 | Lake Superior and Ishpeming 24 | National Railroad Museum Green Bay, Wisconsin |



